HEADS UP: sgtty removal this weekend

Ed Schouten ed at 80386.nl
Wed Jun 11 13:05:20 UTC 2008

Hello everyone,

The last year I've been busy now and then removing the dependency of
ports on the sgtty programming interface. sgtty is the old way of
changing terminal attributes (baud rate, parameters, control characters,
etc). Nowadays people should all be using the POSIX termios interface to
do these things.

When I started, there were many ports that used sgtty. See the following
link for some of the PR's I've filed:

	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr-summary.cgi?category=ports&text=sgtty&closedtoo=on

Pav did an experimental ports run some days ago, which gave me a list of
20 ports that will be broken when sgtty gets removed from the operating
system. I've sent patches for most of them, which still have to be
reviewed/committed/etc. There aren't any high profile ports on this
list.

I'm sending this email for two reasons:

Users: if you experience compilation problems on FreeBSD -CURRENT after
weekend, be sure to update your ports tree. It might be possible that a
fix has been committed already.

Port maintainers: if you receive emails from tinderbox, related to
<sgtty.h>, <sys/ttydev.h> and <sys/ttychars.h>, these could be related
to the removal of this programming interface.

Below is a list of ports that could get broken this weekend. The ports
with an asterisk already have a patch in GNATS.

- annextools*
- beav
- calctool*
- conserver-com*
- conserver*
- fep
- gap
- ja-mh*
- ja-sj3*
- metamail*
- moria
- ncurses*
- socks5*
- splitvt*
- vi-vnelvis*
- vi-vnterm*

Existing binaries that use the sgtty interface will still work after my
commit. I'm only removing the programming interface, not the actual
sgtty-to-termios compatibility layer.

Some of you may already know I'm working on a new TTY layer for the
FreeBSD operating system. This implementation will not support sgtty,
which means I want to phase out this interface as soon as possible.

--
 Ed Schouten <ed at 80386.nl>
 WWW: http://80386.nl/