Where should "contrib" scripts and utilities be installed?

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Tue Jun 10 15:25:47 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 08:54:49PM -0400, Sahil Tandon wrote:
> Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey at goldmark.org> wrote:
>
> > When some project includes a contrib/ directory with its source where
> > should those canonically be installed?
> >
> >     /usr/local/share/$PORT
> >
> > or
> >
> >    /usr/local/share/doc/$PORT
> >
> > or someplace else.
> >
> > In particular, I'm planing on submitting a patch to sysutils/rsnapshot port
> > to also install, somewhere, the contrib directly that comes out of the
> > tarball.
>
> The existence of ports with a "-contrib" suffix suggests you may need to
> create a distinct port for the contrib files.  databases/postgresql-contrib,
> for example.

Actually, that is not strictly necessary.  There are other ports that
do things in slightly different ways:
- some things in contrib/ are merely documentation snippets that
  belong in share/doc/$PACKAGE, as Jeffery suggested
- some things in contrib/ are sample additions, implementations, clients,
  add-ons and such that *might* belong in share/examples/$PACKAGE
- some things in contrib/ are scripts, clients, add-ons and such that
  might also belong in libexec/$PACKAGE (if they are executable files)
  or share/$PACKAGE (if they are not... I can't think of any examples
  right now, but there might be)
- some things in contrib/ are really best left in a separate port :)

For rsnapshot itself - erm, I don't see a contrib/ directory in
its source; do you mean the utils/ directory, or are you looking at
some version that is not in the Ports Collection yet? :)  If it is
utils/ that you mean, then, well, it's actually your choice - the things
there seem to be little scripts that may live in $EXAMPLESDIR, may
live in libexec/rsnapshot/, and may live in a separate rsnapshot-utils
port.  Either way would be fine, at least IMHO.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at cnsys.bg    roam at FreeBSD.org
Hey, out there - is it *you* reading me, or is it someone else?