FreeBSD Port: sysutils/daemontools

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Sun Jun 8 16:09:26 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 09:39:45AM -0400, William Olson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am having issues installing daemontools from the ports system. Please see
> below:
>
> whateva# pwd
> /usr/ports/sysutils/daemontools
> whateva# make install clean
> ===>  Vulnerability check disabled, database not found
> ===>  Found saved configuration for daemontools-0.76_12
> => daemontools-0.76-man-20010714.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist in
> /usr/ports/distfiles/.
> => Attempting to fetch from http://smarden.org/pape/djb/manpages/.
> fetch:
> http://smarden.org/pape/djb/manpages/daemontools-0.76-man-20010714.tar.gz:
> Operation timed
> out

Hmm, looks like there's some sort of problem with Gerritt Pape's site
where the port tries to fetch the manual pages from.  Right now, you
can fetch the daemontools-0.76-man-20010714.tar.gz from my FreeBSD site -
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~roam/ports/sysutils/daemontools/daemontools-0.76-man-20010714.tar.gz
I've placed the file in the publicly mirrorred directory, so it will
appear on other mirrors, too; once it does, I'll add this local distribution
site to the port, too.

> => Attempting to fetch from
> ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/.
> fetch:
> ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/daemontools-0.76-man-20010714.tar.gz:
> File
> unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)

Yep, as explained below, the port has been marked RESTRICTED for ages
and I've not changed that since December; thus, the package building
cluster does not try to build it, and the distribution files have not
appeared on the FreeBSD FTP site.  This will change soon.

> => Couldn't fetch it - please try to retrieve this
> => port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles/ and try again.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/daemontools.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/daemontools.
> whateva#
>
> I took a look at freshports this morning and saw this:
>
> http://www.freshports.org/search.php?query=daemontools&search=go&num=10&stype=name&method=match&deleted=excludedeleted&start=1&casesensitivity=caseinsensitive
>
> It looks like it's now restricted? Please let me know.

It's not restricted "now"; the port has had the RESTRICTED line in
its Makefile ever since version 1.1 (well, okay, it was NO_PACKAGE then)
about nine years ago :)  It's quite another question that I haven't
removed it after Prof. Bernstein put all his software in the public
domain in December 2007; I'll do so soon, right after the files I've
placed in my FreeBSD home directory are mirrorred onto the FTP sites.

Thanks for the heads-up!

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at cnsys.bg    roam at FreeBSD.org
Thit sentence is not self-referential because "thit" is not a word.