devel/gettext notification in /usr/ports/UPDATING

Dominic Fandrey kamikaze at bsdforen.de
Fri Jun 6 16:39:06 UTC 2008

Dominic Fandrey wrote:
> I don't really understand why it's there and why it's recommending to
> rebuild
> all ports.
>
> I have 761 ports installed, but only 173 of them depend on gettext, so
> why should
> I reinstall more than 530 ports that don't need to be rebuild.
>
> What's even worse according to my shell-script pkg_libchk not a single
> one of
> the 173 ports depending on gettext needs to be rebuild because of libintl.

Great, all ports depending on devel/gettext got bumped.

My Shell script checks every single library and executable on the system
with ldd and it says _nothing is amiss_ after upgrading devel/gettext.

Now I am condemned to rebuild ~100 ports, even though it is completely
unnecessary. I do not have to tell you that downloading all the distfiles
over a GSM connection will take days. And all this for no reason at all!

What's going on here?

Ldd says it's not necessary. Can anyone really argue with that?