portmaster and restarting of upgraded daemons

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 4 21:23:20 UTC 2008

Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> I am almost new to portmaster, so I got a question - is there any
> possibility to restart installed services as in portupgrade with defined
> BEFOREBUILD / BEFOREDEINSTALL / AFTERINSTALL? Or is there any future
> plan to do so? It is annoying if I end up with some dead services after
> upgrade just because I forgot to manualy do
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/some_daemon restart

No such feature is planned at this time.

> Next question - is there any documentation for portmaster.rc /
> .portmasterrc? I can't find any documentation for it on the internet,
> just some notices to search in portmaster script (source file) for
> "while getopts", where variables are defined, but it is not usual way to
> get documentation ;)

Agreed, however at the moment I lack time to do a thorough job of
this. I did add a note to the just-committed 2.3 man page to tell the
user where to look though. I hope to update this for a future version.

> And last question - /etc/portmaster.rc - is it realy right place
> according to man hier? I would expect it in /usr/local/etc/portmaster.rc.

You're absolutely right. I copied the code for this from mergemaster,
and neglected to fix the path. I have added support for /usr/local/etc
in version 2.3 and mentioned in the man page that /etc is deprecated.
In the next version the presence of /etc/portmaster.rc will throw an
error, and in the version after that it will be fatal.

Thanks for your interest and suggestions!

Doug