Vlc

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 18:17:06 UTC 2008

On Jul 22, 2008, at 8:46 AM, Rafaël Carré wrote:

> 2008/7/22 Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd at gmail.com>:
>> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 1:32 AM, Okalany Daniel
>> <daniel at one2net.co.ug> wrote:

> That is the way to go in my opinion.
>
>>> Thanks alot guys.. The options that worked for me ( to install
>>> text only
>>> vlc) are:
>>> ./configure --disable-x11 --disable-xvideo --disable-glx --disable-
>>> sdl
>>> --disable-sd --disable-wxwidgets --disable-skins2 --disable-freetype
>>> --disable-mad --disable-ffmpeg
>
> Do you have libX11 installed anyway on your system ?
>
> It would be clever to build VLC the same way on a system with libX11
> and then verify each .so built, to see if they are not linked with
> libX11.
>
> That is to be sure autodetection will not enable something you don't
> want, i.e. not enabled if libX11 was not detected, but enabled if it
> was detected.
> If this is the case, that would mean more --disable-xx are required.
>
> The debian people verify each plugin (prefix/lib/vlc/**.so) when
> building vlc-nox package.
>
> Extract from debian/rules :
>
>    # Check that we did not install a plugin linked with libX11 in
> vlc-nox
> ifeq ($(DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE), $(DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE))
>    BORKED=no; \
>    for file in $$(find debian/vlc-nox/usr/lib/vlc -name '*.so'); do \
>      if ldd $$file | grep -q libX11; then \
>        BORKED=yes; \
>        echo $$file depends on libX11; \
>      fi; \
>    done; \
>    if test "$$BORKED" = yes; then exit 1; fi
> endif
>
>> Hi,
>>    I'm contacting you because you are listed as the maintainer on
>> Freshports for the multimedia/vlc port for FreeBSD.
>>    The user cited above, Okalany, was interested in compiling VLC
>> without X11 support to act as a multimedia server, but currently the
>> port doesn't allow for that type of functionality at this time.
>
> Ok
>
>>    However, Okalany was able to get the source to compile without
>> X11 using the above options to configure (don't believe the
>> --disable-mad and --disable-ffmpeg options are required, but you
>> probably know better than us about that :)...), so we were wondering
>> whether or not the port could be modified to add a WITHOUT_X11 knob.
>
> Of course, but I am lazy to do the patch, so you have to do the
> work :)
> However I'm glad to help if you have trouble
>
>> Thanks and we hope to hear back from you soon,
>> -Garrett, Okalany, et all

Rafael:

Ah, didn't realize that was you. rofl... As the saying goes, good
thing you weren't a snake -- otherwise I'd be dead =o....

I'll fix up a patch for you soon.

Okalany:
Do this on a compiled tree please --

sh -c 'for i in `find -type f`; if ldd "$i" | grep -q libX11; then
echo "$i depends on libX11.so"; fi; done'

Cheers,
-Garrett