firefox3 port missing firefox-config or firefox3-config

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Sat Jul 19 16:33:26 UTC 2008

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 00:56:09 -0500, Naram Qashat <cyberbotx at cyberbotx.com>
wrote:

> Jeremy Messenger wrote:
>> On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 12:06:02 -0500, Naram Qashat
>> <cyberbotx at cyberbotx.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I was trying to modify the VLC port to enable the Firefox plugin, but
>>> when I added firefox3 to the list of USE_GECKO and tried to build the
>>> port, it complained saying it couldn't find firefox3-config.  I
>>> checked my system, and there is no firefox3-config, but back when I
>>> had firefox2 installed, there was a firefox-config on my system.  I
>>> couldn't find where in bsd.gecko.mk to add firefox3-config to the
>>> plist or where in firefox3's Makefile it would need to be added.  Any
>>> advice on the matter would be helpful.
>>  Because Firefox 3 does not install this file and *.pc (pkg-config
>> files) anymore. Everytime when I have tried to search for answer and
>> reason why they changed it. I end up hit the wall. Perhaps, they asked
>> in the wrong place. Also it's hard to find a good keyword to search in
>> google (Mozilla is using google search for their website/newsgroups).
>> If you can find it, I would love to know about it. Everything what
>> jong357 (forum user) knows are same what I know in our search, but he
>> has pointed that there is answer in mailing list that I can't find.
>>  http://forums-test.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=3559635
>>  I have told my team about that somehow I think that Mozilla developers
>> want us to start to use xulrunner for SDK/build stuff rather than on
>> Firefox, Seamonkey and etc. I think that xulrunner 1.9 does install
>> *.pc files and probably xulrunner-config too.
>
> I did a little digging on my own, and found two more threads talking
> about this:
>
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-626153-highlight-.html
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/firefox-3.0-email-links-no-thunderbird-650845/page2.html
>
> Both mention the same thing, that xulrunner should be used to get the
> correct Mozilla configuration files.  I also just tried to build vlc
> after manually editing it's Makefile to have xulrunner at the beginning
> of the WANT_GECKO line and removing the .include to bsd.gecko.mk, and it
> found xulrunner-config after installing xulrunner, so I assume that's
> how it should be done from now on.

Yeah, it's what I thought so. It means that we will need to update
xulrunner to 1.9 or repocopy to xulrunner19. I personal think that we just
should update it to 1.9 instead of xulrunner19. Because, in past, Mozilla
folks don't take good care of xulrunner as it always get out of date
compare to other gecko tarballs. Maybe it's changed now, hopeful. If it
does, then I would love to get all ports and firefox3 to depend on
xulrunner 1.9. But I think that we will need to ask Mozilla folks again
for if it's ok to do that with firefox3 for trademark stuff[1] agreement.

[1] http://people.freebsd.org/~ahze/firefox_thunderbird-approved.txt

> I think this means that using anything but xulrunner for WANT_GECKO or
> USE_GECKO won't work as planned anymore.

Yeah, most of it will be dead when all of ports move to xulrunner 1.9. We
still can use USE_GECKO by simple 'yes' instead of 'firefox2 thunderbird
etc'.

Cheers,
Mezz

> Naram Qashat
>
>> --  While I am here, our firefox3 port still need some improvements
>> such as don't use lib/browser_plugins anymore, because firefox3 can't
>> use firefox2 plugins or it crashes. I am thinking about maybe use
>> www/linux-mplayer-plugin/Makefile.npapi. Then create new directories
>> like lib/npapi/symlinks/gecko18 and lib/npapi/symlinks/lib/gecko19.
>> Other more improvements like clean up in bsd.gecko.mk and gecko ports.
>>  I am slowing and lacking motivative, because I dislike any Mozilla
>> products and my box is slow for build/install test. I am being patient
>> to work with these, so I would love someone (that actually like Mozilla
>> product and have motivative) to jump in and take over. ;-)
>>  Cheers,
>> Mezz
>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Naram Qashat