Race condition in puppet.

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 10:26:50 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 1:58 AM, Russell Jackson <raj at csub.edu> wrote:
> Subhro wrote:
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I have managed to hit some race conditions in puppet. This has also
>> been reported here http://reductivelabs.com/trac/puppet/ticket/831
>>
>> I would request you to kindly bump up the ports version so the problem
>> can be fixed. I have also verified that puppet-devel works fine.
>>

> sysutils/puppet-devel (0.24.x) is actually the current release.
>
> Personally, I think sysutils/puppet should be removed and
> sysutils/puppet-devel promoted in its place.

Russell,
     I disagree. Given the release cycle of puppet (seems to vary
between 1 ~ 5 months per major release), I think it would be wise to
avoid making the -devel port the default as not all admins may be
willing to port their infrastructures to the latest version of puppet,
unless pushed to do so out of necessity.
     I do think that the non-devel version should lag at most 2
versions (possibly 1 at most) behind the latest version though to
avoid making the lives of some admins difficult.
     Sometimes devs can make mistakes in patch releases which cause
regressions in behavior, or they might not have the resources or the
visibility to test on all target platforms. Not supposed to happen,
but it does on occasion. Hence, the long qualifying period between
release and deployment with high-risk administration environments.
My 2 cents...
-Garrett