portupgrade - summary log file option??

David Southwell david at vizion2000.net
Thu Jul 17 20:25:26 UTC 2008

Hi

I am wondering how useful a summary log file option for portupgrade would be.
I have in mind the ability to write to the file each time portupgrade is
invoked.  Options starting with items such as:
S: Stats-List # of ports to be upgraded
                   # ports upgraded so far
                   # Dependencies to be upgraded
                   # Dependencies upgraded so far
L: List           Port Name
                    Upgraded/skipped/failed
                    Dependency Name(1)..(n)
T:Time          Run Start Time
                    PortName- Start_Time
                                    Duration
                                    Finish_Time

might be useful. I do not know how easy it would be to do - someone who is
familar with portupgrade might have something to say about this. If it is
comparatively trivial I would personally welcome such a facility but others
may hold a different view. - If it is not easy to do then  I guess there are
many more important things to do.

David