Ports and system upgrades

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Jul 17 14:56:11 UTC 2008

David Southwell wrote:
> I have been unable to find instructions in the manual about  recompiling ports
> as part of a system upgrade process. There seems to be no reference to it.
> The upgrade from 6.1 to 6.3 seemed to work OK once I sorted out a problem
> with perl. However 6.3 to 7.0 seems to produce more difficulties than I
> bargained for!!!
>
> How can I best reconfigure and recompile all th installed ports?
>
> As you can see from below:
> [root at dns1 ~]# portupgrade -a
> Fatal error 'Thread is not system scope.
> ' at line 319 in file /usr/src/lib/libpthread/thread/thr_sig.c (errno = 2)
> Segmentation fault: 11 (core dumped)
>
> I have definitely omitted a vital step

There are two approaches:

1) Back up all your data and config files. List all your installed ports
to a safe location before updating.  Delete all installed ports.  (either just before or just after updating the base system: makes little
difference.)   Reinstall them all from scratch after doing the update.

2) Manually delete and then reinstall portupgrade and its dependencies
( ruby, ruby18-bdbXX, dbXX -- possibly openssl if you have it installed
from ports )  Once you've deleted the 6.x packages, you should be able
to just:

   # cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade
   # make install clean

Then use the newly build portupgrade to force upgrade everything.  This
takes a long time and always seems to fall over in the middle, so a good
trick is to say:

   # portupgrade -fa -x ">=2008-7-17"

meaning "upgrade everything except packages installed after the date
of the upgrade."  If it flails in the middle you can fix the problem
and rerun that command without ending up rebuilding everything all
over again.

Option (1) will probably give better results, but it is a log more
intrusive.  (2) works OK, eventually, if you keep plugging at it.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW