pkg_add fixing dependencies

Sergey Matveychuk sem at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 15 14:37:53 UTC 2008

Anders Nore wrote:
> So my question is, shouldn't "pkg_add -r zip" check installed packages
> for dependencies and make a correct +REQUIRED_BY file for zip? I know
> that portupgrade and portmaster does this.

As I understand, adding and upgrading should be separate processes.

When you add a package, you should check if an old version of the
package or conflicting packages exist and install package otherwise.

When you update a package, you save all dependency info, delete an old
package, add a new one and restore dependency info. To have a recursion
is good here (update depended packages or packages that depend on the
package) as user choice.

There are some unclean cases there. E.g. packages with different
PREFIXes, etc.

--
Dixi.
Sem.