portupgrade to Perl 5.10.0 ??

David Southwell david at vizion2000.net
Sat Jul 12 07:46:41 UTC 2008

On Friday 11 July 2008 23:18:58 Koen Martens wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 03:06:57PM -0400, Vivek Khera wrote:
> > Seriously, though... is someone actively working on a perl 5.10 port and
> > can we find out what is holding it up for over 6 months now?  Around
> > February I started wondering about it, but it wasn't such a big deal to
> > me then.  Now it is becoming more of a big deal because our developers
> > want to start using some of the 5.10 features in our new projects, but
> > without a port/package it complicates our dev and production environment
> > management.
>
> Silly suggestion: if your business is depending on it, either fix the port
> yourself or pay someone to fix it for you. Seriously, making demands in a
> free software project is silly (if not rude).
>
> Or else, ask your money back..
>
> Gr,
>
> Koen

It does not sound to me like the OP was making demands. Rather it seems that
perfectly reasonable questions are being ignored and unwarranted aspersions
being handed out instead.

Someone asked why the upgrade was needed and he answered that question.
I think it is time to return to thoughtful on topic responses to the original
question. When is the upgrade of Perl 5.10.0 to be expected and what has been
the cause of the delay?

David