portupgrade to Perl 5.10.0 ??

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Fri Jul 11 19:06:59 UTC 2008

On Jul 11, 2008, at 2:53 PM, Remko Lodder wrote:

> So, when can I expect your updated work on the port, build all
> dependencies to make sure they keep on working etc? I understand
> that we want to have this as soon as possible, but also do keep in
> mind that we would like to make sure as much as possible that the
> code can actually work. I am not aware of the reason

There's no way to do all this testing in a vacuum.  Make the port.
Publish it.  People who want to try it out will and then all the
dependent ports (ie, CPAN modules) that may have broken can get fixed
by a large group of people who may have more time to volunteer.

Seriously, though... is someone actively working on a perl 5.10 port
and can we find out what is holding it up for over 6 months now?
Around February I started wondering about it, but it wasn't such a big
deal to me then.  Now it is becoming more of a big deal because our
developers want to start using some of the 5.10 features in our new
projects, but without a port/package it complicates our dev and
production environment management.