firefox-3.0_2,1 no reactions

Guido Falsi mad at madpilot.net
Thu Jul 10 21:31:34 UTC 2008

Josh Tolbert wrote:

> Or, if you're like me and have your workstation's homedir mounted via NFS,
> just forget about Firefo3 entirely and stick with Firefox2. Apparently the
> version of SQLite they're using internally with Firefox3 doesn't like
> non-local file systems. This problem exhibited with OS X and AFP-mounted
> homedirs as well. It's fixed in Minefield, but not yet in an official Firefox
> release. I haven't got around to seeing if the firefox-devel port has been
> updated or trying to build Minefield some other way yet.

I do have NFS home and am also using it with 10 Mbit Wifi and happily
using firefox3.

The problem is not sqlite, but what it's used for.

I just disabled the attack and forgery site checks(never needed those
anyway, I have those disabled at the office under windows too) and
removed the relevant checks. The sqlite DBs just got too big, the
filesystem is not caching them and they slow down everything(also if you
have them on local storage).

I understand some people find those features useful, but I think the
implementation looks not efficient enough for an "on the fly" check.

Don't misunderstand me, I think firefox3 is wonderful! Really a great
browser, quite fast and efficient in all it's aspects, except this
one(and, as I read around, because of the elephant size of the DBs)

--
Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net>