HEADS UP - samba 3.0.30 winbindd broken

John Marshall john.marshall at riverwillow.com.au
Wed Jul 9 11:11:28 UTC 2008

HEADS UP if you are thinking of upgrading net/samba3 to 3.0.30 in an Active
Directory environment.

I have recently upgraded from 3.0.28a to 3.0.30 on a couple of FreeBSD 7.0
servers: one is a member server in a Windows 2000 Active Directory
environment, and the other is a member server in a Windows 2003 Active
Directory environment.  Everything works for a while and then winbindd goes
into sulking mode.  Re-starting fixes everythng for a little while.

Symptoms are that users are denied access to shares, log.smbd shows
authentication failures, and wbinfo -p gets no response from winbindd.

I'm guessing I've hit the winbindd bug described here:
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2008-June/141041.html

I've posted on the samba mailing list to check if the patch mentioned in
that post is still the correct one to apply.

--
John Marshall