Question about non-standard CPAN port

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Thu Jan 31 07:55:11 PST 2008

I found a really useful (to me) module at CPAN - Snort::Rule - which can
dynamically create snort rules from a list of "bad" ips/hostnames.  It's not in
ports, so I thought I'd create a port for it.  But there's a problem.  The CPAN
macro in ports looks in /modules/by-module, but this module cannot be found
there.  It can only be found by going to /authors/by-author/S/SA/blah/foo.

My question is, should I submit this port even though it uses a non-standard
master site from CPAN?

Here's the Makefile I created:
# ports collection makefile for:        perl extension for dynamically building
snort rules
# Date created:                         30 January 2008
# Whom:                                 Paul Schmehl <pauls at utdallas.edu>
#
# $FreeBSD$
#

PORTNAME=       Snort-Rule
PORTVERSION=    1.06
CATEGORIES=     security perl5
MASTER_SITES=   http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-authors/id/S/SA/SAXJAZMAN/Snort/
MASTER_SITE_SUBDIR=     ${PORTNAME}-${PORTVERSION}
PKGNAMEPREFIX=  p5-

MAINTAINER=     pauls at utdallas.edu
COMMENT=        Perl5 extension for dynamically building snort rules

PERL_CONFIGURE= yes

PLIST_FILES=    %%SITE_PERL%%/Snort/Rule.pm \
                %%SITE_PERL%%/mach/auto/Snort/Rule/.packlist
PLIST_DIRS=     %%SITE_PERL%%/mach/auto/Snort/Rule \
                %%SITE_PERL%%/mach/auto/Snort \
                %%SITE_PERL%%/Snort

MAN3=           Snort::Rule.3

.include <bsd.port.mk>

The port installs and uninstalls as expected, but I wonder if I should wait
until the module gets included in the standard path.  Does anyone know why it
wouldn't be there now?  Does it have to be vetted to be included?

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst