qiv quits with Gdk-ERROR on FreeBSD 6.3

Martin Tournoij carpetsmoker at xs4all.nl
Sat Jan 26 18:34:27 PST 2008

On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 08:41:37AM -0500, Randy Pratt wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 07:56:25 -0500
> Randy Pratt <bsd-unix at embarqmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 03:19:17 +0100
> > Martin Tournoij <carpetsmoker at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> > > Update to 2.1pre12:
> > > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=119958
> > >
> > > Please report if this version works for you.
> >
> > I made a clean install using the patch in PR119958.  It displays
> > images but it gives the following messages when run from the
> > command line:
> >
> > $ qiv *.png
> > IMLIB ERROR: SHM can't get SHM Identifier for Shared Pixmap Wrapper
> >              Falling back on Shared XImages
> > IMLIB ERROR: SHM can't get SHM Identifier for Shared XImage
> >              Falling back on XImages
>
> I did a little more investigating and the above error only seems
> to happen for interlaced images, for example:
>
>   freebsd-bikeshed.png: PNG image data, 3336 x 3666, 8-bit colormap,
>   interlaced
>
> I put this image at:
>
>   http://myfreebsd.homeunix.net/freebsd-bikeshed.png
>
> Converting the image to non-interlaced does not produce the imlib
> error.
>
> This same imlib error message exists in the qiv-2.0_2 version so its
> not new.
>
> The PR-119958 version works and is an improvement over the one in
> the tree.
>
> Randy

It doesn't matter in which format the images is, it's the size that
matters.
It's not a bug, it's simply imlib running out of shared memory because
of the large image size.
You can fix this by increasing the sysctls kern.ipc.shmall and
kern.ipc.shmmax (I set them to 4194304 and 70000000).

Regards,
Martin Tournoij