make package-recursive question

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 21 12:31:03 PST 2008

Tim Clewlow wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If I do "make package-recursive" on a port then it first tries to install the
> port. This causes it to fail if the port is already installed. However, if I
> deinstall the port, and then make package-recursive, it installs the port,
> makes the port package, and (this is the important part) quite happily makes
> packages for all the ports dependencies even though those dependencies _are_
> already installed.
>
> Is there any way to tell "make package-recursive" to not bother trying to
> install the top level port, ie just make the package like it does for all the
> dependencies?

AFAIK, no. You could try 'pkg_create -b' for the parent port, and then
try 'make package-recursive' to see if that will bypass the first step,
but I can't guarantee that it will work. Your other option would be to
do 'make -DFORCE_PKG_REGISTER package-recursive' in the parent port to
just re-build and re-install everything. Not as clean, but has the
advantage of not having to de-install the existing port in case that's a
problem.

hth,

Doug