HOW-TO get Flash7 working!

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Tue Jan 15 13:31:13 PST 2008

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 14:47:42 -0600, Boris Samorodov <bsam at ipt.ru> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 14:42:57 -0500 Chuck Robey wrote:
>> Boris Samorodov wrote:

>> this case
>> which does
>> >
>> > I didn't. I (as a developer) tried to help you (as a user) to track
>> > the difficulties.

>> that DOES
>> >
>> > Well, since some other (may be 15-20) fc4-linux infrastructure port
>> > were written by me as well, I hope that there should be more that that
>> > one. :-)

>> start over
>> serious
>> >
>> > OK, great. And please, in any doubt about any (in this case linux)
>> > port's behaviour don't hesitate and write to this or emulation@ ML.
>
>> I just replied to Alex Leidinger's mail (where he replied to this one)
>> incorrectly.  I thought it was you, and didn;'t realize until after I'd
>> kicked off the send key.  Should have realized it from his use of
>> invective, and how he tried to paint this one error as if _all_ linux
>> ports
>
> He said "all infrastructure linux ports". Those ports which install
> libraries, filesystem, configs, etc. He never said all of them (just
> because he knows ports and it's structure much better than me). And it
> is Alexander (with the help of Roman Divacky) who did much work at
> kernel/userland linuxulator to improve it and introduce 2.6-linux.
>
>> installed correctly, and I was only confused.  No big loss, I ppointed
>> out
>> there a particular example (/usr/ports/www/linux-firefox) that does
>> install
>> into /usr/local,
>
> This is not an infrastructure port, this is a user application. (I'll
> duscuss this port as an answer for your other mail).

Well, actually, near all of gecko ports install both libraries and app. In
FreeBSD, there are plenty of ports that depend on firefox, mozilla,
seamonkey and other gecko libraries.

# ldd /usr/local/bin/epiphany | grep firefox
         libmozjs.so => /usr/local/lib/firefox/libmozjs.so (0x28189000)
         libgtkembedmoz.so => /usr/local/lib/firefox/libgtkembedmoz.so
(0x28230000)
         libxpcom.so => /usr/local/lib/firefox/libxpcom.so (0x28244000)
         libxpcom_core.so => /usr/local/lib/firefox/libxpcom_core.so
(0x295b6000)
# ldd /usr/local/lib/liferea/liblihtmlm.so | grep firefox
         libgtkembedmoz.so => /usr/local/lib/firefox/libgtkembedmoz.so
(0x28d2c000)
         libxpcom.so => /usr/local/lib/firefox/libxpcom.so (0x28d40000)
         libxpcom_core.so => /usr/local/lib/firefox/libxpcom_core.so
(0x29007000)

But as you have pointed about that we need an evidence for linux-firefox
install in LOCALBASE breaks other linux stuff.

Cheers,
Mezz

>> just didn't appreciate his painting it as if all I said
>> was wrong, and using the libdl thing as if I was wrong all around the
>> ring.
>
> OK, let's leave libdl an all concerned with it in the past. And
> let's concentrate at port errors (ports with errors?).
>
>> I haven't sent any of this to emulation.  I dislike crossposting without
>> some truly major reason, and this thread did begin in ports.  I wonder,
>> does the fact that your own port installs into /compat mean that you,
>> yourself, agree with my thesis, that all Linux items belong inmstalled
>> into
>> the /compat/linux tree?
>
> Actually, no. ;-) That means that those ports are linux infrastructure
> ports which (so far noboby doubts it) belong to /compat/linux.
>
>> What is your own opinion of this?
>
> You know, when something goes wrong with a port and I can't repair it
> myself, I do to a dortor^w kernel committer for help. If he says
> "don't do it, it hurts" I do just what he says. Said that I should add
> that I do it not blindly but because I see that it really (most of the
> cases) helps. Yet there are open PRs which still are not closed,
> workaround not found, etc.
>
> Nobody says that current linuxulator is ideal. I'd say that current
> situation just hurts less. It is (unfortunately) very sensitive
> instrument. :-( (I don't want to end the letter in a sad end, and
> here is an old Russian phrase which may remind current situation:
> "One wrong movement, and you are a father...")
>

> WBR

FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
http://wiki.freebsd.org/multimedia  -  multimedia at FreeBSD.org