openoffice package requires libstdc++.so.6

Jason C. Wells jcw at highperformance.net
Sat Jan 12 19:44:54 PST 2008

Garrett Cooper wrote:

> Did you install OpenOffice from a package? libstdc++.so.6 comes with
> gcc-3.4+ by default, so why isn't your system finding it...?

I should mention that this is the first time I have installed
openoffice.  I cannot say that openoffice used to work.  This is a fresh
binary package install of openoffice.

> 1. Did you do an clean install of FreeBSD 6.x or is it an upgrade? If an
> upgrade, from what version are you upgrading?

The system was a source upgrade from 6.1-RELEASE to 6.2-RELEASE.

 > 2. Where did you get the package from?

Either ftp4.us.freebsd.org or ftp3.us.freebsd.org.  I don't recall which.

I do have one system with 6.3-RC.  The libstdc++ there is also
libstdc++.so.5.  I just made the world today on that box.

I don't have gcc3.4 installed as a port.  Here is my system gcc

# gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Configured with: FreeBSD/i386 system compiler
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.4.6 [FreeBSD] 20060305

I have no idea how my system could be off by one on the major number of
this library.  I never tinker with that stuff.

Regards,
Jason