CFT: Adobe Reader 8 + SCIM/UIM (was Adobe Reader and SCIM)

Nikola Lečić nikola.lecic at anthesphoria.net
Tue Jan 8 00:51:18 PST 2008

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 13:28:06 +0900 (JST)
Hiroki Sato <hrs at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>  If you are using Adobe Reader 8.1.1 with SCIM or UIM, please try the
>  following and then run acroread8:
>
>  # cd /usr/ports
>  # fetch http://people.allbsd.org/~hrs/FreeBSD/imm-ports.tar.gz
>  # tar xzvf imm-ports.tar.gz
>  # cd /usr/ports/textproc/linux-scim-libs && make install
>  # cd /usr/ports/textproc/linux-uim-gtk2 && make install
>
>  imm-ports.tar.gz includes three new ports of immodules in Linux
>  binary which should make SCIM and UIM work with acroread8.  If they
>  work, I will commit them as dependency.

Thanks, this worked for me (with SCIM). Now I can use all keyboards in
acroread8, but in my case the presence of these libs raises a problem
with acroread7. Notes:

1. I tested scim-tables-imengine and scim-kmfl-imengine only;

2. [unimportant] It creates empty icon which behaves as new default
   keyboard, but remains besides existing default (neutral)
   keyboard-icon (English/Keyboard in my case);

3. Now acroread7 doesn't work (for me at least), with all SCIM-related
   environment variables schemes. It just returns me back to the shell
   prompt without any error message;

4. However, if I use the environment scheme I suggested in my previous
   mail and change GTK_IM_MODULE/XMODIFIERS in acroread7 startup
   script as proposed, all applications work, and SCIM in them.

--
Nikola Lečić :: Никола Лечић