Adobe Reader and SCIM

Nikola Lečić nikola.lecic at anthesphoria.net
Tue Jan 8 00:45:46 PST 2008

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 11:49:47 +0900 (JST)
Hiroki Sato <hrs at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Nikola Lečić <nikola.lecic at anthesphoria.net> wrote
>   in <20080107225750.743feb0d at anthesphoria.net>:

[...]
> ni> it will not work in Linux and QT apps (incl. Reader 7). The
> ni> problem is (I don't know if this is FreeBSD specific) that
> ni> GTK_IM_MODULE, once set to 'scim', can't be changed to 'xim' in
> ni> the same X session, so the line like aforementioned JPN-specific
> ni> setting will not have any effect in such environment. The same
> ni> goes for XMODIFIERS once set to @im=SCIM.
>
>  As explained above, the acroread script does not change them if
>  defined already.
>
>  I basically think the user should be responsble for environment
>  variables that he sets by himself, and the acroread script should set
>  the default values at the most.  However, I agree with setting some
>  variables to work around problems that prevent acroread from working,
>  but I am not sure if your suggestion is reasonable yet.  On my box,
>
>    GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
>    QT_IM_MODULE=scim
>    XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
>
>  works fine with acroread7 (not for acroread8, btw),

Hm, I'm surprised to hear this... The scim/scim/SCIM scheme never worked
for me anywhere else but in GTK apps... Although I must add that I
use only two IM engines, scim-table-imengine and scim-kmfl-imengine.

Does this scheme works for you in all QT apps as well (incl. non-native
ones, e.g. linux-opera and skype)?

(Note: there's nothing unusual with my system, 6.2-RELEASE, Xfce
environment, all up-to-date, and I do all tests in empty homedir to
avoid possible collisions with old ~/.scim, ~/.adobe, etc. settings.)

Never mind, I just shared what works for me -- let it stay in the
archives. Maybe I'm alone in experiencing this SCIM (mis-)behaviour. If
someone else on this list sees the same, I hope we'll hear about it.

> and I could not understand the reason why changing XMODIFIER to
> @im=XIM does the trick.

In my case, it does the trick because @im=XIM obviously doesn't prevent
SCIM from working normally in GTK environment, and still allows
GTK_IM_MODULE to be replaced with "xim" and XMODIFIER itself with
"@im=SCIM" when launching acroread7 (and skype, etc.).

--
Nikola Lečić :: Никола Лечић