determining what ports directly depend on X

Frank J. Laszlo laszlof at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jan 4 04:43:02 PST 2008

Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> On 1/3/08, Frank J. Laszlo <laszlof at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> Aryeh Friedman wrote:

>>> Doesn't quite work because it appears index is equiv to "make missing"
>>> which includes indirect parents.   For example x11-wm/compwiz does not
>>> reference libool-1.5 except in a USE= line.
>>>

>> Most ports should be setup to use "USE_AUTOTOOLS", but obviously there
>> are a few strays.
>>
>> Anything that uses USE_AUTOTOOLS should have LIBTOOL_DEPENDS defined.
>> You could check this. to collect the strays, grepping through for
>> ^.*DEPENDS=.*libtool15" should pick them up.
>>

> Completely useless... it catchs stuff I know for a fact has no direct
> dependancy on libtool15... for example I am the author (but not the
> maintainer but I helped in the port creation) of devel/thistest and
> the *ONLY* direct dependancy it has is java/jdk16 it still lists
> libtool-1.5 as a depend in INDEX-8

Huh? You should be greping the Makefile, not the INDEX. This solution
will require a bit of scripting to work properly. Any competent
administrator should be able to develop a script that check for these 2
things in about 10 minutes.

Regards,
    Frank Laszlo