Port Version via pkg_add

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 1 21:19:09 PST 2008

On Tue, Jan 01, 2008 at 08:10:12PM -0800, Jason C. Wells wrote:
> How does pkg_add determine what version of a port to add when
> 'pkg_add -Kr' is used?

pkg_add calls getosreldate(3) to obtain the integer value of the release
of FreeBSD running on the machine.

The list of paths to fetch from are hard-coded based on range
comparisons for the above reldate value.  See
src/usr.sbin/pkg_install/add/main.c for a list.

> How can I make pkg_add use 6.3 packages instead of 6.2?

You run pkg_add with a URL that contains "packages-6.3-release" instead
of packages-6.2-release, e.g.:

pkg_add -r ftp://ftp4.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.3-release/Latest/whatever.tbz