Problems with OpenOffice 2.3.1 on FreeBSD

Predrag Punosevac punosevac at math.arizona.edu
Tue Jan 1 12:09:24 PST 2008

Philipp Ost wrote:
> O. Hartmann wrote:
> [...]
>> Whenever I try to save a document in OO writer, OO gets stuck and I
>> have to kill it. The document gets saved, but I never can load it
>> again without rendering OO unusuable. Opening M$ Word docs or OO docs
>> doesn't matter.
>
> I have similar problems with OpenOffice 2.3.1 on FreeBSD/i386 (I'm
> running 7.0-PRE as of Dec 23). It's possible to save documents but
> exiting OOo hangs and I need to kill it. Firing up OOo once again,
> there's this "recovery stuff" which hangs also and eats up CPU time.
> Only way out: kill -9 $PID
> Opening a document via 'File -> Open -> ...' hangs also. .odt or .doc
> doesn't matter.
>

>> Any ideas? This is a serious situation to me, due to the need of a
>> properly working OO :-(
>
> No, perhaps using an other word processor (AbiWord, StarOffice). Or
> going back to OOo 2.3.0...
>

> Regards,
> Philipp
I am not an OpenOffice user but my 2c about the topic  as  the problem I
think underline more serous issue.

The question is why is OpenOffice 2.3.1 included in the ports three so
quickly without making sure that things work properly.
BSD systems are genuinely known for their stability and code correctness
which is why most people decided to use them on the first place.
Rushing to include new software in the ports three without proper
testing is seriously going to damage  usability of the whole OS.
In my understanding ports tree is supporting stable and the current
brunch. I am of the opinion  that  the ports  three  of the  stable
branch  should not include  nothing but  the rock  solid and tested
software.  The  easiest  way for me to  check if the port is bleeding
edge that  is to  try to install the same  software  using binaries.
(pkg_add -r) If the binaries do not exist or if the version installed
from binaries is older that clearly indicates that the port version is
too new to be trusted.

I personally found out that Xfce4-panel is not compiling properly on
stable and also Orage (calendar for Xfce) While
problems with Xfce4-panel  are not as serious as with Orage (which is
not usable in any shape or form on FreeBSD) they are still serious.
The same packages work flawlessly on the OpenBSD.

Happy New Year to Everybody

Predrag