Interaction between port OPTIONS and /usr/bin/tee

Randy Pratt bsd-unix at embarqmail.com
Fri Feb 29 14:36:18 UTC 2008

I run a script to update ports which uses /usr/bin/tee to do some
logging of the process.  This has worked for a very long time (years)
but sometime in the past week(s) or so something has changed when
an OPTIONS screen displays and "tee" is being employed.

I cannot use TAB to get to the OK button.  The TAB key cause the
cursor to go to the next word to the right.  The UP/DOWN arrows
are also misbehaving.  I'm sure this is hard to visualize but a
short script shows the new(?) behavior:

===========
#!/bin/sh
logfile="~/test_interaction.log"
cd /usr/ports/multimedia/mplayer
make config | tee /dev/tty >> ${logfile}
===========

Once you see the resulting action, just ctrl-c to exit and leave
the OPTIONS settings unchanged.  You may need to issue a "reset"
command to restore the xterm to normal colors.

Any port that uses the OPTIONS framework can be substituted and
produce the same results.

I thought perhaps it was a recent change to xterm behavior but I
portdowngraded to xterm-228 and the behavior was the same.  The
last time it appeared to work correctly was on 2-16-2008 when the
"Options for sox 14.0.1" screen was displayed.  I last
updated sources on 2-18-2008 if that has any bearing on it.

I understand that logging the output of an OPTIONS selection
produces a bizzare log entry but its not been a problem in the
past when it was just another part of the port update process.

Anyone have any ideas what's happening here?  I don't think I'm
misapplying the use of "tee".

Thanks,

Randy