palm/synce-*: couple of issues

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Thu Feb 28 21:09:50 UTC 2008

I'd like to report couple of issues on palm/synce-* ports:

1. quite outdated: versions are circa 0.9, but 0.11 is currently
available; on the other hand, I do not complain much about this because
even 0.9 version can (mostly) do what I need. And they say that newer
versions have problems with older HW support.

2. synce-kde installs bin/vdccm program and synce-dccm also installs
bin/vdccm; obviously there is a conflict, but it's not marked in the
port. I personally would prefer that synce-kde does not install vdccm,
because the one from synce-dccm seems to be 'better'.

3. for me vdccm from synce-kde simply doesn't work (doesn't detect ppc);
vdccm from synce-dccm establishes connection but crashes on any request
(e.g. execution of pls, pstatus). It seems that the reason is that code
(even patched) in TCPConnectedSocket::getMTU can not get MTU and sets it
to -1, in another place -1 MTU value cast to unsigned is used as a size
of memory allocation (4G), resulting in crash. I tried to use code from
ifconfig sources to get MTU, but it seems that it doesn't work with
stream sockets:
    if (ioctl(getDescriptor(), SIOCGIFMTU, &ifr) < 0) {
Anyway, it seems that hardcoding MTU to 1500 is a "good enough" solution.

And a general note: it seems that neither vdccm properly works if a ppc
device has password enabled, -p option doesn't help, ppp connection
breaks very soon.

--
Andriy Gapon