Portmaster and added dependencies

Parv parv at pair.com
Sun Feb 24 06:17:54 UTC 2008

in message <47C0CE65.4020907 at gmail.com>,
wrote Felippe de Meirelles Motta thusly...

> Well ... I like normal user, I always get much the lastest version
> of the software to use. But I as a developer, with the minimal
> version required (core-mod or no) is ok.

Interesting, as I would have thought the opposite.

> Now ... thinking better, if i as maintainer of some p5-* ports, if
> i always use the version of core-mod, i'll in some way, "force"
> the user to almost always be a newer version of perl (usually even
> 5.8.0 or 5.6.0). So we still think that the version setting
> minimum dependence, it would be the best way for all.  Because
> then can be any version of perl, but with a module later (if
> needed).

I would say to always specify the dependency on the module if
present in ports.  If the minimum version of module is already
available either as part of Perl installation or module
itself, fine.  Otherwise, install the module of course.

Perhaps that is what you had already written.

BTW, new stable version of Perl is 5.10.

  - Parv