Portmaster and added dependencies

Yen-Ming Lee leeym at leeym.com
Sat Feb 23 23:52:12 UTC 2008

[cc to the submitter of ports/120802 and lbr@]

2008/2/23, Wesley Shields <wxs at freebsd.org>:

> On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 04:50:16PM -0500, Randy Pratt wrote:
> > On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 16:26:53 -0500
> > Wesley Shields <wxs at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> deps
> was
> > >
> > > Snipped the rest because I think this could have all been avoided by
> > > bumping PORTREVISION when the dependency to p5-Text-ParseWords was
> > > added.  Ideally the dependency information should have been recorded
> > > with the update to 0.22 (like is in ports/120802).  I'm CC'ing leeym@
> > > who made the last commit.
> >
> > It would have been far easier that way of course but this isn't the
> > first time a dependency change has been made to some port without
> > bumping PORTREVISION and probably won't be the last.  This situation
> > only existed for a couple of days and affected only those who updated
> > during the interim.
>
> Right, I was just pointing out that it is not necessarily a problem with
> portmaster since PORTREVISION should have been bumped.  :)  Thank you
> for brining this up, however, since it is a mistake in the port and may
> be a nice addition to portmaster (if such a thing does not already
> exist).

The fact behinds this commit is that Text::ParseWords and File::Spec are
both in the core list of PERL, so ExtUtils::CBuilder will work no matter
these "dependencies" installed or not.
See http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=120802 for details.

And, two problems in this case:

1. Do we need to add some modules into dependency if they are already in the
core list of PERL itself. I myself prefer to remove them and keep the
dependency tree as simple as possible, however submitter prefer to use the
latest version, so I follow his way. Maybe you have different opinions?

2. What does it mean to bump the PORTREVISION? I heard two meanings, one is
"you'd better reinstall it otherwise it won't work", and the other is
"something updated and it will change the package". If it means the former
one, it's not the case of ExtUtils::CBuilder. If it means the latter one,
then it's my fault, I should bump PORTREVISION anyway.

--
Yen-Ming Lee <leeym at leeym.com>