Problems with icu - 3.8

Dominic Fandrey kamikaze at bsdforen.de
Mon Feb 18 11:09:19 UTC 2008

Yoshihiro Ota wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 14:23:37 -0700
> James <oscartheduck at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Lots of people are getting bitten by the effects of the bump in the
>>> libicu* shlib ABI version numbers -- there really should be a note
>>> in UPDATING about it.  It affects all sorts of different packages --
>>> I've even got one system where it took out OpenLDAP.
>> Do you know who to ask for the note? I was bitten by it, but fortunately there
>> had just been a large thread in questions@ about it. It does seem to be a
>> common issue.
>>
>> James
>

> Why are so many people are bitten by this?  Is that the jobs of port-upgrading
> tool to safe copy these libraries to compat so that all programs using
> the old libraries works?
>
> Hiro

I detest this method of keeping programs working. It causes potentially
vulnerable libraries to remain in use. I much prefer to run pkg_libchk -R
(sysutils/bsdadminscripts) and rebuild the ports it lists as broken due to
the change.

I already advertised this solution in another thread about the icu problem
on this list.