obexftp - call for testers

Dierk Sacher usenet01 at blaxxtarz.de
Mon Feb 18 04:20:03 UTC 2008

Hello,

thank you for your feedback.

For doing obex over bluetooth, obexftp needs both the

(1) BD_ADDR in raw format (it's _not_ resolving literal device names)
(2) the Channel (by using the -B option)

So, on my K750i, which has  I do something like this (I will use long
options for better understanding):

# get the capability list:
obexftp --bluetooth `bthost -b k750ieva` --channel 6 --capability

Channel 6 is OBEX File Transfer on that phone. IrMC (8 for me) will also
do. You won't be succesful doing this on OBEX Object Push.

If you need to find out the proper channel for your mobile, do something
like

  sdpcontrol -a k750ieva Browse

The whole point of using obexftp over obexapp is (for me), that obexapp
is not able to retrieve all the telecom/ nodes, which won't show up in
filebrowsing and return an error if you try to traverse the path level
by level.
Thatswhy you have to specify the path as a whole in 'get' command
blindly
to successfully retrieve them. This is AFAIK only a restriction of some
(including obviously all my) mobile phones.

So this is where the -S (--nopath) parameter comes handy:

obexftp --bluetooth `bthost -b k750ieva` --channel 6 --nopath \
  --uuid SYNCH --get telecom/devinfo.txt

(You may also try telecom/pb.vcf or telecom/cal.vcs and *PLEASE* backup
your contacts first! It's perfectly possible to bust your databases so
all your valuable contacts go down the drain and I won't be the one to
be put in charge for that.)

As you see, I also need to specify the SYNCH (IRMC will also do). Please
look up the manpage, cause my understanding of this rather limited (in
other words: I'm just using it).

One final note: my mobiles firmware obviously left the drawing table a
bit, uhm, early. You may have to reset your bluetooth devices and/or the
whole mobile (by removing batteries in my case :-() after doing some
transfers. This is *not* a problem specific to obexftp. Its happening
with a lot of other peers and usage scenarios too.

Gruss
Dierk

Zitiere Alex Keda vom Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 06:01:22PM +0300: