FreeBSD Port: sdl-1.2.11_2,2

Coleman Kane cokane at FreeBSD.org
Sun Feb 17 23:46:12 UTC 2008

Chris Whitehouse wrote:
> hi,
>
> [please could you cc me as I'm not subscribed, thanks]
>
> I'm trying to install projectm (http://projectm.sourceforge.net/).
> Instructions say install sdl-1.3 due to some feature being necessary.
> Can I keep sdl-1.2 and install sdl-1.3 without them conflicting? Any
> pointers for how to do it, or an alternative approach?
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris

Chris,

You could get sdl-1.3 from www.libsdl.org (I think you need to use SVN
to get it). Then, when you configure make sure you specify a special
prefix, such as:
cd sdl-1.3
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/libsdl13-root ...other args...
make
make install

Then, when you build mproject, make sure that you add
"--with-sdl-prefix=/usr/local/libsdl13-root" to the configure arguments,
to tell it where SDL 1.3 is located. When you run the program, make sure
that you set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to
/usr/local/libsdl13-root/lib, so that it looks for the SDL libraries
there before looking in the normal library path.

HTH,

--
Coleman Kane