apache 2.2.8 authdbm woes

Doug Poland doug at polands.org
Sun Feb 17 13:38:24 UTC 2008

Hello,

For the past few days, I've been migrating a bunch of apache-1.3.41
vhosts to apache-2.2.8 (on the same machine, 6.3-RELEASE i386).  Many of
directories are protected with AuthType directives and I want to reuse the
existing .dat files.

After working successfully for more than a day with the original .dat
files, apache-2.2.8 suddenly decides that format is not supported.
Here's what the error log says:

	This function has not been implemented on this platform: could not open
	dbm (type DB) auth file: /usr/local/etc/apache22/auth/admin-passwords.dat

I'm fairly certain that the beginning of the error messages coincided
with the first modifications I made to the .dat files after copying them
from /usr/local/etc/apache to /usr/local/etc/apache22.  The syntax I
used to modify the files were:

	dbmmanage admin-groups.dat add newAdminUser newAdminGroup
	dbmmanage admin-passwords.dat adduser newAdminUser

I compiled apache-2.2.8 with the following options:

	make -DWITH_BDB -DWITH_BDB_BASE

And have the following directives in the conf file:

	AuthType Basic
	AuthName "Authorized Users"
	AuthBasicProvider dbm
	AuthDBMType DB
	AuthDBMUserFile etc/apache22/auth/admin-passwords.dat
	AuthDBMGroupFile etc/apache22/auth/admin-groups.dat
	require group newAdminGroup

In the apache-1.3.41 httpd.conf file, I used:

	AuthName "Authorized Users"
	AuthType Basic
	AuthDBUserFile /usr/local/etc/apache/admin-passwords.dat
	AuthDBGroupFile /usr/local/etc/apache/admin-groups.dat
	require group newAdminGroup

This change in apache's behavior is very strange indeed.  I tried
copying the original .dat files and restarting apache, but to no avail.
I also must admit that I'm a little confused between AuthDBM/AuthDB and
and all the DBM/BDB options in FreeBSD's Make infrastructure

Many thanks for your consideration and assistance.

--
Regards,
Doug