portupgrade-devel: 2 feature requests

Randy Pratt bsd-unix at embarqmail.com
Fri Feb 15 12:12:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 11:46:10 -0500
"Aryeh M. Friedman" <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com> wrote:

> How hard would it be to add the following to portupgrade-devel:
>
> 1. Progress report for -a builds (i.e. after and/or at the start of a
> port build it says how many ports are left to be processed)

I think this information exists while a port is being updated:

  ps -auxww | grep "ruby"

You will probably get several lines of processes but one of which
will say something like [10/25] indicating that its working on
the tenth one of 25 total.  This may only exist in later versions
of portupgrade.

Its possible to create your own database of port build times by
creating a list of ports to be updated and running it thru
pkg_sort so that they are in correct dependency order, then
using /usr/bin/time you can build each port individually and record
each port's build time (seconds) in some flat file, for ex:

  devel/glib20|140.85
  devel/gmake|45.16
  devel/gnome-vfs|289.34
  devel/gnomevfs2|338.94
  devel/libIDL|50.06
  devel/libbonobo|162.98
  devel/libglade2|81.53

It would be more accurate than any build times from someone else
since it would be based on your machine's environment.

I went all the way and used Xdialog to display a progress bar and
other such frills.

In the end, I stopped bothering since it added needless complexity to
the process and it still took however long it takes to finish.

Randy