Portmaster ignoring +IGNOREME??

Mark Ovens parish at magichamster.com
Mon Feb 11 23:51:20 UTC 2008

Doug Barton wrote:
> Mark Ovens wrote:
>> Doug, it's happened again:
>
> It's impossible for me to debug this properly without knowing the
> command line options you used. I'm guessing from your description of the
> problem that you used at least -r and -u.

I included the command line in my OP -

portmaster -BudRr icu-3.8.1/

so yes, -r and -u

>> It honoured the +IGNOREME during the recursive ``make config'' but
>> failed during the build.
>
> If I understand the problem correctly, the attached patch will fix it.
> Please confirm this for me when you can.

I'll try it and let you know - thanks for the quick response.

>> This also highlights a potential problem with portmaster. because it
>> prints out all the pkg-message files at the end, and the summary list,
>> there is the potential for the reason for the abort to have scrolled out
>> of the shell's scrollback buffer (it wasn't far off in this instance)
>
> If you don't use -u, there is a pause between the end of the failed
> build and the display of the pkg-message files. If you do use -u it's
> assumed that you are able to handle the consequences of doing so.
>
> I actually suggest that people stop using -u, and I am seriously
> considering just removing it. It doesn't do what people apparently think
> it should do, and it's caused way more trouble than it's worth.

I was of the understanding that it assumed the default answer for any
questions that were asked so, by using it, it didn't sit there forever
waiting for an answer. I've just re-read the manpage and seen the note
you put about -u. Am I correct in thinking then that if you use -d that
it will have the same net effect as using -u - i.e. it won't ask questions?

One other request. With ports like the Java JDK (and acroread IIRC) you
have to agree to the licence before it will build. This appears to be in
the source tarball - i.e. it runs when the archive is unpacked and is
outside the control of the ports system and therefore utilities like
portmaster. This is another pain because the build stops until you've
answered the question.

Would it be possible for a list of these ports to be built into
portmaster so that if any are required it runs at least ``make extract''
once the tarball has been fetched to save having the upgrade stop which
kind of defeats the object of running portmaster unattended.

Regards,

Mark