Upgrading the Installed package

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Wed Feb 6 05:07:02 PST 2008

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 01:51:33 -0800
Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Sigh... why do people always recommend portupgrade to users without
> telling them of the caveats?  I grow tired of this.  So let's tell
> Navneet exactly what he's getting into, shall we?

thanks for the info Jeremy, very informative.

For what is worth, i've been using portupgrade for a long time. It works quite well in the vast majority of the situations, though it does seem to get confused with large upgrades with many inter-dependencies -not sure if that is a portupgrade's fault or the ports system.  I don't recall having issues with DBD, ruby messages or others. I also use pkg_* when necessary.

I am not denying what you said, just trying to balance out the description too.

At the end of the day, Navneet, you should try several tools and see what works for you :).

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

I used to hate weddings; all the Grandmas would poke me and
say, "You're next sonny!" They stopped doing that when i
started to do it to them at funerals.