general ports problem

cwt marshc187 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 19:06:28 UTC 2008

Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Dec 27, 2008, at 14:59, Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy at optushome.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2008-Dec-27 22:27:05 +0100, cwt <marshc187 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> i usually have some trouble building world on amd64, but always
>>> somewhere in gnu tree. this week it didn't fail and seemed
>>> to build and install ok, but apparently...
>>
>> I have been running amd64 on 6, 7 and 8 for several years and haven't
>> bumped into any consistent problems building world.  Can you provide
>> more details of your hardware and the troubles you have?  It is possible
>> you have a hardware issue.
>>
>> --
>> Peter
>
> Could just be bad media.
> -Garrett

to kinda recap and close on this issue, i have been using fbsd7 for a
few months now, simply trying to learn something off and on, and use it
for general net stuff, so as long as i don't have too many issues, i'm
happy for now, so i haven't been looking into too much detail on any issue.

i did suspect some hardware issue, and a while back searched on info
about memory checkers, but did not fully get what i was looking for or
doing. apart from that i used to have error messages at boot time from
the dvd-drives when they get probed or  whatever happens there, but they
have finally disappeared with this 7.1rc2 i installed yesterday. (they
work fine in windows xp on a separate disk).

to further suspect a hardware issue, i have had little trouble , if any,
building world amd64 on a macbook pro, both in vmware and boot camp. I
also never had any issue with i386 on this pc, which i managed to build
on more than a few occasions.

as too bad media, i can't exclude it, but have tried different discs,
plus fully csup'ed sources, so i figure that must amount to something.

for now i was doing to stick to binary updates to avoid this problem,
but was thinking off seeing how world builds without installing this
week, and i'll take it from there.

thanks again for all the help, at least i know what to avoid for now.
thanks