APNG patch for graphics/png port

Mikhail Teterin mi+mill at aldan.algebra.com
Mon Dec 22 12:37:42 PST 2008

= Especially now that APNG is pretty much out of the bag, my opinion is
= that the libpng people should either adopt APNG into their tree, or
= yield control over PNG to Mozilla.org. It's not about being the "right"
= thing to do, it is about avoiding a highly user-confusing feature-based
= fork of a file format.

http://groups.google.com/group/muc.lists.freebsd.ports/browse_thread/thread/977f2f4c584975db

Sorry, all, for jumping onto this a little late... I don't think, FreeBSD
needs to make a judgment, who is right -- or who should do what. Not
yet, anyway.
The question for us is how to build the ports -- whether to:

    * build the libpng as static from the sources, that come with each
of the
      numerous Mozilla pieces and link them into each piece statically;
    * fork a separate graphics/mozilla-png -- CONFLICT it with graphics/png
      and allow the users to install one or the other (whatever LIB_DEPENDS
      on png will work with either);
    * include the patches to graphics/png -- against ache's stated opinion;
    * patch the mozilla pieces (thunderbird3, firefox3) to not require the
      controversial functionality (use it if suitable png-implementation is
      found, but don't require it).

Personally, I think, I'm in favor of the last approach, at least for now
that
animated PNG (APNG) content is non-existent anyway -- comes only from
mozilla.com,
and the animatedpng.com, which registered to certain "brother Brendan"
-- the main
man of Mozilla.

If that's shouted down along with patching graphics/png itself, we ought
to make
a graphics/mozilla-png (or graphics/apng) -- second on the list. The
first of the
above-listed choice -- taken currently for www/firefox3 (presumably just
because
it was the easiest one to take) -- is, in my opinion, the least desirable.

Ache is right about poor security history of png itself. By linking the
library
statically into each application, we are making the future security
fixes harder to
propagate -- instead of rebuilding just one port (graphics/png or
graphics/apng),
the users will need to rebuild all of the applications...

Yours,

    -mi