rrdtool 1.3.3 and dejavu dependency

Guido Falsi mad at madpilot.net
Tue Dec 16 03:23:22 PST 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 06:38:12PM +0100, Daniel Roethlisberger wrote:

> Even as the submitter of the PR in question, I fully agree.

This is a good starting point :P

> > I read the PR but don't really see such effects.. I'm using
> > mrtg and smokeping, with mrtg.cgi [1] and mailgraph.cgi. They
> > all work fine, mailgraph at least seems to use the
> > functionality described in the PR.
> >
> > Are we sure it isn't something else which is depending on
> > dejavu?
>
> Yes, pretty much.  Note that rrdtool can fall back to other
> fonts, such as Bitstream Vera, but if no fonts are found, using
> `rrdtool graph` or language bindings such as RRDs::graph will
> fail.  I just used Tobi's tutorial [2] to verify this again.
>
> Can you try to reproduce this with no fonts installed under
> /usr/local/lib/X11/fonts and using the tutorial [2] as a test?
> If it works for you, can you try to find out where it takes the
> font from?
>
> I guess it might be possible to make `rrdtool graph` work without
> the full install of x11-fonts/dejavu and all it's dependencies by
> either creating a lightweight dejavu font port without X11, or by
> adding dejavu to the rrdtool port somehow.
>
> I'm all open to better ideas than the current run-time dependency
> on x11-fonts/dejavu.  I kind of hoped that the maintainer would
> be able to find a better solution, but unfortunately, there was
> no reaction from the maintainer.

I made a few experiments on a spare PC at work(this is an AMD64 8.0 on
which I was testing ZFS, grat work to all the developers for that).

I reverted your change on the machine, defined WITHOUT_X11 and made sure
all rrdtools dependencies where configured to require the least x11
pieces(cairo requires disabling both xcb and glitz support).

The machine had no ports installed. I ended up with the following ports
installed:

bdftopcf-1.0.1      Convert X font from BDF to PCF
bitstream-vera-1.10_4 Bitstream Vera TrueType font collection
cairo-1.6.4_3,1     Vector graphics library with cross-device output
support
encodings-1.0.2,1   X.Org Encoding fonts
expat-2.0.1         XML 1.0 parser written in C
font-bh-ttf-1.0.0   X.Org Bigelow & Holmes TTF font
font-misc-ethiopic-1.0.0 X.Org miscellaneous Ethiopic font
font-misc-meltho-1.0.0_1 X.Org miscellaneous Meltho font
font-util-1.0.1     Create an index of X font files in a directory
fontcacheproto-0.1.2 Fontcache extension headers
fontconfig-2.5.0,1  An XML-based font configuration API for X Windows
fontsproto-2.0.2    Fonts extension headers
freetype2-2.3.7     A free and portable TrueType font rendering engine
gamin-0.1.9_2       A file and directory monitoring system
gettext-0.17_1      GNU gettext package
gio-fam-backend-2.16.5 FAM backend for GLib's GIO library
glib-2.16.5_1       Some useful routines of C programming (current
stable versi
gmake-3.81_3        GNU version of 'make' utility
icu-3.8.1_1         International Components for Unicode (from IBM)
libXfont-1.3.1_3,1  X font libary
libfontenc-1.0.4    The fontenc Library
libiconv-1.11_1     A character set conversion library
libtool-1.5.26      Generic shared library support script
libxml2-2.6.32_2    XML parser library for GNOME
mkfontdir-1.0.3_1   Create an index of X font files in a directory
mkfontscale-1.0.3   Creates an index of scalable font files for X
pango-1.20.5        An open-source framework for the layout and
rendering of i1
pcre-7.8            Perl Compatible Regular Expressions library
perl-5.8.8_1        Practical Extraction and Report Language
pixman-0.10.0_2     Low-level pixel manipulation library
pkg-config-0.23_1   A utility to retrieve information about installed
libraries
png-1.2.33          Library for manipulating PNG images
python25-2.5.2_3    An interpreted object-oriented programming language
rrdtool-1.3.3_2     Round Robin Database Tools
xorg-fonts-truetype-7.3 X.Org TrueType fonts
xproto-7.0.10_1     X11 protocol headers
xtrans-1.0.4        Abstract network code for X

As you can see it already sucked in various things and some fonts. I
tried the tutorial and it works flawlessly in such a setup. I think the
trick is this port: bitstream-vera-1.10_4. If there were some way to
install dejavu without sucking in all of libX11 it would be good too.

could you make your tests without dejavu but with bitstream-vera and see
if it works?

I see pango is depending on x11-fonts/xorg-fonts-truetype, which depends
on some fonts pacjkages but not on libX11.

Hope my feedback helps.

--
Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net>