[PROPOSAL] Ports using SCM repositories as source instead of distfiles

Dmitry Marakasov amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru
Thu Dec 11 00:23:50 PST 2008

* Ashish Shukla आशीष शुक्ल (wahjava.ml at gmail.com) wrote:

> This is what Debian and Gentoo does. Remember we don't have to pass
> DESTDIR variable to 'make -C /usr/ports/editors/emacs-cvs' instead it
> will be passed to the 'gmake' process invoked by port's Makefile. If we

I understand. But you're implying that there is Makefile and it supports
DESTDIR. As I understand, you're referring to autotools-based ports.
Remember, those are less than 1/4 of the collection.

> pass DESTDIR to port's commandline, then it will install all
> dependencies in that chroot which is not desired, we simply care about
> the files installed by that port. Since there're already 20,000 ports we
> can't do it by default, so we've to hack some knob (like
> REQUIRES_DYNAMIC_INSTALLATION) which if defined will enable this
> behaviour.

So if I understand correctly, you're proposing to only use dynamic
plist generation for the ports that support it without modification,
i.e. autotools-based?

My opinion is that we should support the feature for all ports, or don't
support it at all. Only getting rid of ~5k pkg-plists is not a huge
accomplishment considering the mess it causes and I doubt it's worth
the work on adding the feature to port.mk and then rebuilding and
testing all affected ports. Being able to forget about pkg-plists
once and forever however would be a huge accomplishment and if that's
possible it should be done sooner or later.

--
Dmitry Marakasov   .   55B5 0596 FF1E 8D84 5F56  9510 D35A 80DD F9D2 F77D
amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru  ..:  jabber: amdmi3 at jabber.ru    http://www.amdmi3.ru