Proposal: mechanism for local patches

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Wed Dec 3 17:30:45 PST 2008

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 22:03:08 -0500
"Jim Trigg" <jtrigg at spamcop.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 9:08 PM, RW <fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com> wrote:

> > directory is deleted. I wonder why, if an "update" can decompress
> > over the top of a port, an "extract" need to delete it first. I
> > can't think of any good reason offhand.
> >

> I would presume that it does that to get rid of "standard" patch files
> that are no longer part of the port...

Yes, that is a good reason, I should have thought that through a bit.

I still think that it's more aggressive than it needs be. I think it
could probably just delete Makefile (in case the port is moved) plus any
files in files/ that don't end in .local. That way you could still have
local patchfiles, and anything else would be untouched including
README.html  and makefile.local