[OctDev] Proposed octave-forge for FreeBSD

Stephen Montgomery-Smith stephen at math.missouri.edu
Wed Aug 27 20:32:02 UTC 2008

Alexander Barth wrote:
>> The only packages I didn't get to build were database, java and
>> jhandles.  If someone else could do these for me I would appreciate it.
>>  I also did not get octcdf to build, because it requires a newer
>> version of netcdf than FreeBSD currently has in the ports.
>
> Hi Stephen,
> Thank you for your efforts to port octave-forge to FreeBSD!
> I'm the author of octcdf. Which version of netcdf is included in ports?
>>From a quick google search I found this page
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=netcdf and it looks like
> that 3.6.3 included. In principle, octcdf should build with any
> version newer than 3.6.0. If you are using a recent enough version of
> netcdf, can you send me the error message that you got while compiling
> octcdf on FreeBSD?
>
> Thanks
> Alex

I am using netcdf-3.6.3.  The the error message is at the bottom of the
email.  Now that I reflect on it, it is an issue that mkoctfile, which
comes with octave itself, is incapable of parsing the "-pthread" -
presumably on Linux it is "-lpthread."

I just tried hacking mkoctfile, and it seems to resolve the issue.  So I
should be able to fix this myself.

Thanks for inspiring me to work on this.

Stephen

mkoctfile -DHAVE_OCTAVE_ -v  -o netcdf.oct -I/usr/local/include
-I/usr/local/include/metis -I/usr/local/include -DHAVE_OCTAVE_INT
ov-netcdf.o ov-ncfile.o ov-ncvar.o ov-ncatt.o ov-ncdim.o
-L/usr/local/lib -pthread -lnetcdf
mkoctfile: unrecognized argument -pthread
gmake[1]: *** [netcdf.oct] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/p2/math/octave-forge-octcdf/work/octcdf-1.0.11/src'
gmake: *** [build] Error 2
*** Error code 2

Stop in /usr/p2/math/octave-forge-octcdf.