pkg_add feature proposal

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Mon Aug 25 13:01:03 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 05:48:06AM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 02:37:16PM +0300, Anton - Valqk wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I've just got an Idea (maybe others had it too?).
> >
> > When doing pkg_add [-r] wouldn't it be better if pkg_add checks if _all_
> > dependent packages exists and checksums are ok (after downloaded if with
> > -r), etc. checks _before_ installing the packages, because if you get
> > 3-4 packages broken/missing when one package depends on 30-40 (X apps
> > etc.) you should delete all already installed...
> >
> > I've got this problem when did pkg_add -r mod_musicindex and for some
> > reason mod_musicindex didn't build the flac and libogg when
> > $> make package-recursive
> > specified.
> > When the pkg_add get to these packages and they were not found on the
> > web server, I've had to delete all installed packages by hand... uhh...
> >
> > so, what would you say about that?
>
> I'd say it's a great idea (and an ideal idea), but it's not easily
> implementable.  Where would pkg_add get its list of dependencies from?
> The port Makefile?  And what if the user doesn't have ports installed?
>
> This is one of the many quirks of the ports vs. package system.

Well, pkg_add *already* gets the list of dependencies from the .tbz file
that it is either passed on the command line or it downloads.  I believe
that Anton is asking for a bit more separation between the "fetch all
packages to be installed" and the "install all fetched (fought?) packages"
phases of pkg_add's operation.  However, given the way that pkg_add
operates by invoking itself recursively, it might not be easy to do this
without a major rewrite and algorithm change.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at cnsys.bg    roam at FreeBSD.org
No language can express every thought unambiguously, least of all this one.