octave forge proof of concept

Stephen Montgomery-Smith stephen at math.missouri.edu
Sat Aug 23 16:20:50 UTC 2008

Dear All,

I am attempting to make a new math/octave-forge port.  I would like to
offer this proof of concept, so as to get advice before finishing it
off.  It is at
http://www.math.missouri.edu/~stephen/octave-forge/octave-forge-port-bundle.tar.gz.
  It is implemented as a metaport.  So far I have only two of the
sub-ports made, but in the end there will be close to 73 of them.

There are many issues.  The main one is that octave now has its own
package maintenance procedure, and it seems very difficult to get around
it.  For this reason, each sub-port makes its own octave-package, which
is placed in /usr/local/share/octave/tarballs, and then each sub-port
instructs octave to install the octave-package.  Similarly with pkg_add
and pkg_delete.

This process does seem to work, and if it meets everyones approval, I
can finish it off rather quickly.  But it is rather non-standard, so I
want to wait a few days to get opinions first.

Stephen