libSDL, portupgrade, and qemu

Steve Franks stevefranks at ieee.org
Thu Aug 7 17:31:11 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 6:50 PM, Edwin Groothuis <edwin at mavetju.org> wrote:

>> I thought someone would want to know a "portupgrade -a" just broke my
>> qemu installation.  Suddenly no libSDL.so.11 was found so qemu
>> wouldn't start.  I was smart enough to link libSDL-1.2.so.11 to
>> libSDL.so.11 in /usr/local/lib, so I have no issues, but I suspect
>> this reflects some kid of failed dependency or patch/install problem,
>> no?
>
> This change to devel/sdl12 was made four months ago...

The change indeed appeared to be well documented from what I could
see.  I was just observing that ports seem to be intended to install
and run without additional tweaking.  I was sending an FYI, in case
there should be a change made to either qemu or sdl12 to make things
"just work" again.  I mean, if no one gives feedback on these things,
they stay broken forever, right? (Not that I am expert enough to make
the judgment that something is indeed broken; I am just posting my
observation for the experts to digest).  I love FreeBSD, and I want
the newbies (of which I sort-of have graduated) to have a reasonably
un-frustrating experience.

Steve