bsd-grep-20080725_1 -v flag busted...

Gábor Kövesdán gabor at FreeBSD.org
Mon Aug 4 19:19:33 UTC 2008

Chuck Swiger escribió:

> I'd just updated the BSD grep port to bsd-grep-20080725_1, but
> regrettably have noticed that many things using grep stopped working.
> For example, running GNU-style ./configure hangs here:
>
>   configure: creating ./config.status
>   load: 1.15  cmd: sh 72964 [runnable] 7.60u 95.78s 14% 2260k
>
> A trivial test case:
>
> % echo 'fee\nfi\nfoe\nfum' | ./grep -v fi
> % echo 'fee\nfi\nfoe\nfum' | /usr/bin/grep -v fi
> fee
> foe
> fum
> % ./grep --version
> grep (BSD grep) 2.5.1-FreeBSD
Hello Chuck,

thanks for your notes. It seems very strange to me, because GNU grep
produces the same output for me. Apart from this, the -v flag was really
broken, but I applied some fixes before updating the port and in the
version, which I committer, I thought that the -v flag was compatible.

Here is what I get at the moment:

 > echo 'fee\nfi\nfoe\nfum' | ./grep -v fi
 > echo 'fee\nfi\nfoe\nfum' | /usr/bin/grep -v fi
 > /usr/bin/grep -V
grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1-FreeBSD

Copyright 1988, 1992-1999, 2000, 2001 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

It's still the same, thus I don't understand how you could produce that
output with GNU grep.

Best,

--
Gabor Kovesdan