Help needed porting Quod Libet plugins

Alex Kloss klossalex at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 20:23:21 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I've recently become an avid user of the Quod Libet music player, but
I'm disappointed that none of its plugins are in the ports tree.

I'd like to begin porting several of the plugins to FreeBSD, but I
have a few questions about the process:

The plugins are single-file Python scripts, which you simply drop into
/usr/local/share/quodlibet/plugins/ and then enable in Quod Libet. In
order to download them, you must pull them from Quod Libet's trunk in
Subversion. This doesn't sound like a good idea to me, because there's
no way to guarantee that a given plugin will remain stable all the
time. If I ported a plugin, is it advisable to pull the distfile from
trunk?

Also: is it a better idea to separate all of the plugins into
individual ports, or create a few ports that each install a particular
category of plugins? There's over 20 plugins, so I'm not sure if the
ports team would appreciate me trying to clutter up their tree.

Thanks in advance!

Alex Kloss