Call for comments - pkg_trans

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Sat Aug 2 07:13:47 UTC 2008

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 17:27:40 +0200
Ivan Voras <ivoras at freebsd.org> wrote:

(Apologies for the mini top-post, and the confusing quoting....is there a
mailer that will actually quote properly ? :P ) )

> >> Port N then won't install D2 as it already exists.

Ivan V. said
> > Right, but D2 is still part of the transaction for N. If I roll back M
> > but leave N installed, then roll back N, D2 should be removed
> > (assuming for this example that D2 is not relevant to any other port).
> >> The user can rollback [N], then rollback [M+D1+D2+D3]. Trying to
> >> roll back back [M+D1+D2+D3] before [N] will show the user a message
> >> about dependencies.
> >
DB> > I seriously doubt that users would put up with that. Trying to think as
DB> > a user here, I certainly would not want to be told that in order to
DB> > remove a port that I don't want I first have to remove one that I do.
DB> > But perhaps I'm misunderstanding you again.

+1

> This is a good point and I'm glad it's brought up. I think this will work:
>
> * When user tries to roll back [M+D1+D2+D3], notice that D2 needs to
> stay because of N (I think I only need to notice that D2 is depended on
> by something that isn't in the transaction being removed)

right.

> * Remove M, D1, D3 from the transaction, leave only D2 in the
> transaction, as if only D2 was installed in it.
>
> As you said, it would be best if D2 was then grouped with N so both get
> removed when N gets removed, but this is really out of scope for
> pkg_trans - I'm not trying to solve complex interdependencies here :)
> (or better said: I'm trying not to solve them...)

Again, I am not sure the whole concept of transaction is needed after the
installation of M has finished successfully.

Of course, it'd be v useful (but configurable, pls!)
if when installing D1, D2, D3 , the process fails, and u are not left hanging
out with dependencies but not the intended package.

But once M and all its dependencies are installed... why not keep it
simple and figure out what you need to do via the dependencies?  From Doug's
email, that's what postmaster seems to do (sorry, i haven't tried postmaster
yet).

It is very likely I am missing something, but not sure what it is.

cheers,
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

I used to hate weddings; all the Grandmas would poke me and
say, "You're next sonny!" They stopped doing that when i
started to do it to them at funerals.

Warned.