firefox 3 causing xorg to suck up all available CPU

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Fri Aug 1 17:28:20 UTC 2008

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 02:10:04 -0500, Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:

> I installed firefox 3 from ports in the pre-release phase (via
> marcusmerge) and rebuilt it as needed to keep it current with the port
> after it was committed. I have since noticed that if I start firefox 3
> and keep it open (whether I am using it, or I have it minimized) that it
> will eventually cause Xorg to consume all available CPU. If I kill ff3
> it will sometimes allow X to recover, otherwise I have to completely
> exit X and restart to get it back to normal.
>
> I have since re-installed firefox 2 in order to confirm that things work
> properly with it open, and all is well, so it pretty much has to be ff3
> that is the culprit.
>
> Anyone else seeing this?

What's version of FreeBSD? I have seen similar report with your in
freebsd-gnome@ and only happen in -CURRENT, but when rebuild all apps then
the problem is gone. Right now, we have Firefox 3.0.1 in ports tree.

BTW: Don't use marcusmerge anymore, unless you want to be a beta test
again in MC. ;-) In MC ports-stable, I am working on add USE_WEBPLUGINS
and I would say about less than 20 ports left that need to be add.
http://www.marcuscom.com:8080/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ports-stable/www/firefox/Makefile.webplugins

Cheers,
Mezz

> Doug