Call for comments - pkg_trans

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Fri Aug 1 07:36:46 UTC 2008

Doug Barton wrote:
> Norberto Meijome wrote:

[...]

>> And since we are just wishing for things, It'd be nice to have an
>> opportunity to back off from a install/remove after calculating
>> dependencies, such as that provided by yum (it shows everything it
>> will do and asks for confirmation before proceeding. )
>

> portmaster has the --show-work option that gives you output like this:
>
> ===>>> Port directory: /usr/ports/sysutils/fusefs-ntfs
> ===>>> Starting check for all dependencies
> ===>>> Gathering dependency list for sysutils/fusefs-ntfs from ports
>
> ===>>> Installed archivers/unzip
> ===>>> Installed converters/libiconv
> ===>>> Installed devel/gmake
> ===>>> Installed devel/libtool15
> ===>>> NOT INSTALLED        devel/libublio
> ===>>> Installed devel/pkg-config
> ===>>> NOT INSTALLED        lang/ruby18
> ===>>> NOT INSTALLED        sysutils/fusefs-kmod
> ===>>> NOT INSTALLED        sysutils/fusefs-libs
> ===>>> NOT INSTALLED        textproc/ruby-deplate
>
> Is that what you had in mind? That is currently a separate operation
> because for ports with a lot of dependencies it can take a long time to
> build the list. But I suppose that if there is interest I could create a
> new mode of operation to do that check first, then confirm with the user
> that they want to proceed.

Yes, it would be useful to me. Sometimes old ports comes with new
default options and brings new dependencies which I do not want to have
installed with update / upgrade of port, but it is not easy to track
these changes. If portmaster will have option to firstly show above info
about dependencies and wait for confirmation, I will use this feature.
Maybe in combination with some advanced logic: if all dependencies are
installed, continue without confirmation, if some dependency is missing,
wait for my confirmation.
What you think about it?

Miroslav Lachman